A Brief Synopsis

Recently diagnosed with breast cancer, facing more surgery with radiation and possible chemotherapy... I face the biggest challenge of my life. Along with the love and support of my husband, kids, family and friends........... I type these words from my heart to share with you.







Saturday, October 22, 2011

Round one of Chemo - done~

I waited awhile before updating the blog after my first chemo treatment.  I wanted to share with everyone what I experienced in the time after and since it was my first, I didn't know what to expect or for how long I'd be experiencing the side effects.

I had my first treatment on Monday, October 10th.  I was nervous as to be expected.  I took my steriod pills Sunday morning and Sunday evening before chemo.  So between this and my nerves I got maybe 3 hours of sleep.

Monday morning came, my appointment was at 10am.  I needed to get up, get ready at least 2 hours before so I can put numbing cream on my port,.  The port is where they put the IV drip, chemo meds, draw any blood.  Much easier for me having a port, since they can't use my right arm for anything and my left arm has no veins to be found.  By putting the cream on, I shouldn't feel any pain when they stick the needle in me.  And it worked, no pain!!!!!  Robin, my nurse was very nice and explained everything to me.  I ask alot of questions!!!!

I was told by others who had gone through this what I may experience and what to bring with me. Snacks, books, gum, music, etc. to keep me busy.  My total drip time was 2 1/2 hours, not long at all compared to some people there were in there for 5-8 hours that day.  So 2 1/2 was a breeze.

I walked in and was told to pick a seat.  Of course, I picked a seat by the window facing the door so I can see the whole room!  Bob sat with me the whole time. I tried listening to music and read, but I was to darn nosy and couldn't concentrate, so I just people watched.

Some people made me chuckle and some made me sad. After seeing what I saw that day , I consider myself lucky, very lucky.

I had an older man next to me who was there for 8 hours, he and his wife bickered the whole time, in a good way.  Another older couple was there, the wife was being treated and I noticed she had a full head of hair, so I assumed it was maybe her first time.  We got to talking and she said she's been doing this for 4 years now and will probably have to do it for the rest of her life!!!  She said it was her own fault, she put off having a colonoscopy and developed colon cancer.  They got it during surgery, but she would still need chemo once a month or so for the rest of her life.  Lastly, there was another woman who came in, it was her first time also.  I saw that she had a port but didn't see any numbing cream on it.  My heart went out to this lady, she was all by herself and curled up in fetal position in the chair.  She was so sad, saying she was just going home to shave her head tonight.  The nurses tried several times to put the IV in her port and she would cry and scream because of the pain.  After about 3 attempts she was gone.  I don't know what happened or where she went.  But no one should have to go through this alone.

Before I knew it, my drip was done.  They had me wait a few minutes after to make sure I didn't have an allergic reaction to the meds and I didn't.   I would have to come back 24 hours later from when the chemo ended to get a "neulasta" shot.  This would boost my white blood count and cause aches, pains and nausea.

I got home and felt great, thinking they put this poison/medicine into my body and I felt great!  Time will tell what side effects I would experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment