A Brief Synopsis

Recently diagnosed with breast cancer, facing more surgery with radiation and possible chemotherapy... I face the biggest challenge of my life. Along with the love and support of my husband, kids, family and friends........... I type these words from my heart to share with you.







Thursday, March 15, 2012

The end.

Today marks the end of all cancer related treatments and surgeries.  Last week was the end of 7 weeks of radiation and had my last surgery to remove my port on March 12th.  Today, I got the OK to go back to work after 9 months off.  Boy, it seems like it was a lifetime ago since I was diagnosed. Today, I told my surgeon, Dr. Malon, I met her on June 15th, 2011 and exactly 9 months to the day, today, March 15th I get the OK  from her to go back to a "normal life".  She was amazed how I remembered dates.  When you go through this, you remember a lot of dates.  Some good, some not so good!!!


Now, when I read the blog from the beginning, all the feelings and emotions come back to me as if it were yesterday.  Today, I am no longer scared of the cancer coming back.  Will those feeling change, probably, but right now, I feel like I've kicked cancer's ass and survived this journey.

My journey doesn't end just because I'm cancer free!  Another one starts.  Life after cancer.  I will continue to blog as I get back into the real world.  I'm sure there will be lots of other emotions, feelings, etc., to deal with.  I just need to remember to stay positive, and keep myself healthy, both mentally and physically.

So, I'm going back to work Monday and am looking forward to seeing my friends! I'm a little nervous, but that's to be expected!  Hope I haven't forgotten everything!!!!  I know I'll be exhausted for the first few weeks, but the nice weather is here and hopefully I'll manage to get my strength back to what it was 9 months ago! 

My hair is growing back, not the color I want, a steel wool gray,  but hey, it's hair......I will dye it when it's long enough for me to go without a wig, or when the hot weather gets here, whichever comes first!

1 comment:

  1. Mary,

    Kudos to you for not only kickin' cancer's ass, but for doing it with such style and grace!

    Hugs and Kisses,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete